Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Graffiti




I was reading the graffiti chapter in the book Visible Signs by David Crow and decided to write a little about graffiti. Though some might not guess I am a long time fan of graffiti and in my travels I am sure to photograph an example of graffiti wherever I go and keep a binder to document it all. What I find especially interesting about graffiti is how similar it is regardless of the city, state or country you are in. I have examples from places like Watts and Compton in Southern California, the Minnesotan countryside, a train station in a small coastal town in Australia and buildings and walls in rural Ireland and I doubt most people would be able to guess which came from where though just as the book mentions the people who make it are most likely very different in many ways. Shown above are a couple examples of Irish Graffiti.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting how graffiti in different cities still has a look similar to it in others. I think that this comes from the fact that graffiti is a subculture that has its own rules and boundaries, and through those there is created a bridge in that world even through the distance of land.